Do you really think your posts on social media are private?
Yesterday, social media was ablaze after reports started to emerge that the company had changed its policy to that which it would essentially be able to sell user’s photos to companies without compensating the user. Instagram users took to Twitter and Facebook to voice their displeasure. Many users hastily deleted their account. Many celebrities have already deleted their accounts out of fear that their pictures will be used for advertising purposes without their consent. The new changes were supposed to go into effect on January 16th.
In addition, National Geographic posted on its account that it would be suspending posting new photos until there is a clarification to the new terms. Later that evening Kevin Systrom, founder of Instagram, blogged that there was a miscommunication of sorts and that by no means would Instagram sell photos without consent from the user (don’t know if I believe him, but I sure believe that he got scared he’d begun the downfall of his fledgling company).
I have an Instagram account. As well as a Facebook and Twitter account. I do not post pictures of myself or my family on these social media apparatuses. No matter the written policies I don’t trust that the pictures aren’t stored somewhere in perpetuity. I am very cautious with what I post as well. I think it is a bit naive to think that you can post something online and it somehow remains private. If you want your thoughts to remain private, don’t post anything.
As for this latest controversy, I did not delete my account for the following reason. I first did not believe for a second that this would end up happening. There is no way this company would be able to survive the departure of most of its users. Many people have started accounts because they follow other users be them celebrities or other organizations. If they go, so will their fan base (I one of them).
I think people need to remember that Facebook recently bought Instagram. Facebook has certainly had its share of privacy setting backlash. In the end, the users always win. Some people may have forgotten that not too long ago Facebook floated the idea of charging a $1 annual membership. The backlash to that proposal shut down any future suggestion.
My questions to you are the following:
If you do use any social media, do you honestly believe that your statuses, tweets, updates or pictures will forever remain public?
And do you really believe that Instagram would systematically kill its company by changing its policy to where it essentially steals the rights of your photo?
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- What would you do if you won the Powerball Jackpot?
- Jimmy Kimmel Presents “The Baby Bachelor”
- Abercrombie & Fitch Thinks It’s “Too Cool” for “Large Girls” #FitchTheHomeless
- Should preventative procedures such as a double mastectomy be covered by health insurance companies?
- Should Congress enact an “Amazon Tax?”
- RT @DavidHaugh: Many pro athletes support great causes with lots of $$. Then there's Kevin Durant, who just gave $1 million to Red Cross fo… 7 hours ago
- RT @MisterCBooz: Text “REDCROSS” to 90999 for $10 donation to help tornado victims in #OKC #okwx 11 hours ago
- RT @RealFarrahGray: Monday Monday #2 Monday #3 Monday #4 Friday Saturday Pre-Monday 21 hours ago
- Emanuel's 'data mayor' image doesn't add up shar.es/ZZmFz via @crainschicago 5 hours ago
- @MikeyDeleasa When are you coming to Chicago? We'd love to host you in the windy city! 1 day ago
- Loving my @essie #lilacism :) http://t.co/HXwrEozYLb 5 days ago
- I hope to hear more stories of people being reunited with loved ones, including pets. #Oklahoma 6 hours ago
- RT @TIME: The remarkable story of a woman who found her missing dog alive beneath the debris in Moore, Oklahoma | ti.me/191zHhk 6 hours ago
- Praying for Moore, Oklahoma. 8 hours ago
- wp.me/p2Gcas-Rb (Jimmy Kimmel Presents “The Baby Bachelor”) #JimmyKimmel #TheBabyBachelor 3 days ago
- wp.me/p2Gcas-Ri (What would you do if you won the Powerball Jackpot?) #Powerball #jackpot #lottery 3 days ago
- What would you do if you won the Powerball Jackpot? wp.me/p2Gcas-Ri via @wordpressdotcom #Powerball #lottery #MegaMillions #jackpot 3 days ago