Do you really think your posts on social media are private?
Yesterday, social media was ablaze after reports started to emerge that the company had changed its policy to that which it would essentially be able to sell user’s photos to companies without compensating the user. Instagram users took to Twitter and Facebook to voice their displeasure. Many users hastily deleted their account. Many celebrities have already deleted their accounts out of fear that their pictures will be used for advertising purposes without their consent. The new changes were supposed to go into effect on January 16th.
In addition, National Geographic posted on its account that it would be suspending posting new photos until there is a clarification to the new terms. Later that evening Kevin Systrom, founder of Instagram, blogged that there was a miscommunication of sorts and that by no means would Instagram sell photos without consent from the user (don’t know if I believe him, but I sure believe that he got scared he’d begun the downfall of his fledgling company).
I have an Instagram account. As well as a Facebook and Twitter account. I do not post pictures of myself or my family on these social media apparatuses. No matter the written policies I don’t trust that the pictures aren’t stored somewhere in perpetuity. I am very cautious with what I post as well. I think it is a bit naive to think that you can post something online and it somehow remains private. If you want your thoughts to remain private, don’t post anything.
As for this latest controversy, I did not delete my account for the following reason. I first did not believe for a second that this would end up happening. There is no way this company would be able to survive the departure of most of its users. Many people have started accounts because they follow other users be them celebrities or other organizations. If they go, so will their fan base (I one of them).
I think people need to remember that Facebook recently bought Instagram. Facebook has certainly had its share of privacy setting backlash. In the end, the users always win. Some people may have forgotten that not too long ago Facebook floated the idea of charging a $1 annual membership. The backlash to that proposal shut down any future suggestion.
My questions to you are the following:
If you do use any social media, do you honestly believe that your statuses, tweets, updates or pictures will forever remain public?
And do you really believe that Instagram would systematically kill its company by changing its policy to where it essentially steals the rights of your photo?
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- And that is why I love the game of #Survivor. #SurvivorGameChangers 4 days ago
- Finally getting to read #TheStand by @StephenKing. 200 pages in and I've become very paranoid of anyone that sneezes or coughs 1 week ago
- Lol twitter.com/MensHumor/stat… 1 week ago
- Introducing the newest member of the Pera clan, Dottie Hinson. And… instagram.com/p/BSHuJj_gj8hE… 10 hours ago
- Love is... watching A League of Their Own with your best friend and you're both crying, again, even though you know… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- @fouriv they want Elliot's baby. 1 day ago
- Hope everyone is having a great #LaborDay2015 1 year ago
- RT @CarrieMuskat: Final #Cubs 14, D-backs 5. Rizzo grand slam, Russell 2 HRs, Baez 3 H/1 HR. Lester 5 IP 1 year ago
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses wp.me/p2Gcas-1ft #KimDavis #Kentucky #RowanCounty #gaymarriage 1 year ago
- I'm super excited to announce the launch of my home bakery business, Camelia Bakes! I am now… instagram.com/p/BR3TslFjPKf/ 6 days ago
- I can finally read the @GetOutMovie Wiki page and everything else online about it. See you all in about 3 days. @JordanPeele 1 week ago
- RT @GeorgeTakei: What kind of man "dreams" all his life about limiting health care for the indigent? A man without empathy, a man without h… 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Don't think racism is an issue these days? Just go on Instagram (and other social media).
- What the heck has happened to Amanda Bynes?
- Top 10 Pizzas
- Jimmy Kimmel and Aunt Chippy Present Miracle Sponge
- Suspect #2 is captured; now let us not forget the Victims
- Newsweek: The Suicide Epidemic
- Should you be able to name your baby ‘Messiah’?
- Victoria Arlen, a Paralyzed U.S. Swimmer, is Banned from Paralympic World Championships
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
- Why is “The Walking Dead” so popular?