Do you really think your posts on social media are private?
Yesterday, social media was ablaze after reports started to emerge that the company had changed its policy to that which it would essentially be able to sell user’s photos to companies without compensating the user. Instagram users took to Twitter and Facebook to voice their displeasure. Many users hastily deleted their account. Many celebrities have already deleted their accounts out of fear that their pictures will be used for advertising purposes without their consent. The new changes were supposed to go into effect on January 16th.
In addition, National Geographic posted on its account that it would be suspending posting new photos until there is a clarification to the new terms. Later that evening Kevin Systrom, founder of Instagram, blogged that there was a miscommunication of sorts and that by no means would Instagram sell photos without consent from the user (don’t know if I believe him, but I sure believe that he got scared he’d begun the downfall of his fledgling company).
I have an Instagram account. As well as a Facebook and Twitter account. I do not post pictures of myself or my family on these social media apparatuses. No matter the written policies I don’t trust that the pictures aren’t stored somewhere in perpetuity. I am very cautious with what I post as well. I think it is a bit naive to think that you can post something online and it somehow remains private. If you want your thoughts to remain private, don’t post anything.
As for this latest controversy, I did not delete my account for the following reason. I first did not believe for a second that this would end up happening. There is no way this company would be able to survive the departure of most of its users. Many people have started accounts because they follow other users be them celebrities or other organizations. If they go, so will their fan base (I one of them).
I think people need to remember that Facebook recently bought Instagram. Facebook has certainly had its share of privacy setting backlash. In the end, the users always win. Some people may have forgotten that not too long ago Facebook floated the idea of charging a $1 annual membership. The backlash to that proposal shut down any future suggestion.
My questions to you are the following:
If you do use any social media, do you honestly believe that your statuses, tweets, updates or pictures will forever remain public?
And do you really believe that Instagram would systematically kill its company by changing its policy to where it essentially steals the rights of your photo?
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- Finished reading #SpoilerAlertTheHeroDies today. What a beautiful memoir. @MichaelAusiello #smurfsareawesome #KitCowan #MisterScooch #love 6 days ago
- RT @angiecthomas: No lie - I got teary-eyed when I saw this. Meet the Carter family 😊@TheHateUGive #theHateUGive https://t.co/hYzgEFDMnl 1 week ago
- RT @DaltonRoss: 35 Reasons to Love Survivor! (Had a lot of fun writing this. Please read & share with your #Survivor friends.) https://t.co… 1 week ago
- @CosmopolitanUK @HamiltonHilary .... 4 hours ago
- RT @tonyposnanski: Colin Kaepernick- Son of a Bitch Joe Arpaio- Pardoned Just in case you ever questioned that "White Supremacist" comme… 4 hours ago
- RT @jonfavs: Yes, we know that Trump attacking black athletes is good politics for Trump. That's not some revelation, that's the whole fuck… 4 hours ago
- Hope everyone is having a great #LaborDay2015 2 years ago
- RT @CarrieMuskat: Final #Cubs 14, D-backs 5. Rizzo grand slam, Russell 2 HRs, Baez 3 H/1 HR. Lester 5 IP 2 years ago
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses wp.me/p2Gcas-1ft #KimDavis #Kentucky #RowanCounty #gaymarriage 2 years ago
- RT @ASlavitt: NEW: What would Graham-Cassidy ACA repeal mean for women? RT if useful. https://t.co/NRV2ohXyO7 4 days ago
- You're a fucking shithead, @realDonaldTrump. twitter.com/cnbcnow/status… 4 days ago
- Hey, @GOP. It's really not that hard to NOT be assholes. #Trumpcare 4 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Victoria Arlen, a Paralyzed U.S. Swimmer, is Banned from Paralympic World Championships
- What the heck has happened to Amanda Bynes?
- Mom hires strippers for son’s 16th birthday party
- Newsweek: Is College a Lousy Investment?
- Stacie Halas, a California Teacher fired for Porn Past, loses appeal
- What’s wrong with "American Idol?"
- Top 10 Pizzas
- Carla McKinney, a Colorado teacher, is reprimanded for posting topless photos on Twitter