Don’t think racism is an issue these days? Just go on Instagram (and other social media).
For those that are naive enough to believe that we live in a post-racial society and racism is nothing to be concerned about anymore, I’d like to suggest you log onto Instagram, Twitter, and the various other social media outlets.
As is the case in these advanced technological times, word quickly spread about an Instagram account called “asiansareugly” created by two young girls by the names of “Zoe” and “Cassie”. I came across the Instagram account via a Tumblr post by salemdylann (attached photos are from her blog). I made my way to the Instagram page and was greeted with dozens of photos of Asians captioned with vulgar and racist words. It seems these young girls trolled the Instagram world for photos uploaded by Asians and reposted them with what they deemed to be appropriate and funny comments.
As of this afternoon, the “asiansareugly” Instagram page can no longer be found. Either the people at Instagram took down the account or the young girls themselves deleted it. It’s just one very small victory, if you even want to count it as that. Those young girls no longer have Instagram as a platform to display their hate, but they still have hate in them. Furthermore, their Instagram account was just one small percentage of the world wide web dedicated to racism. What about the other Instagram accounts, Twitter accounts, Facebook pages and blogs with similar themes?
Growing up in the village of Dunning on Chicago’s west side as a Filipina American, I heard my fair share of racist remarks. I was the only Asian person in my entire grade school class of Polish and Italian Americans. Most of my classmates didn’t have a problem with me or my being Asian, but there were a couple people who loved to yell “Chink!” and “Go back to China!” at me.
It’s sad knowing that young people are still growing up hating others just because of their ethnic background. These days, hate can be shared instantaneously via social media outlets. I don’t believe we’ll ever live in a world where racism is not an issue. That would be a perfect world and we all know that we are so far from that. Racism and hatred for others will only continue so long as parents are raising their children in that manner. What we can all do, at the very least, is acknowledge this and not turn a blind eye; we can’t lie to ourselves and say that it is not a problem.
Hatred is a direct result of ignorance so we must continue to educate those that are uninformed. A world where people can peacefully and respectfully discuss differences in race, religion, sexual orientation, and political views is about as close to a perfect world as we can get.
Twitter: @_Camelia & @talkrealdebate
UPDATE: As of 2:30PM CST, Zoe and Cassie have created “asiansareugly2” on Instagram with the description “Asians Are Ugly Backup Heyyy its Zoe and Cassie again backup account for @asiansareugly because all Asians are fucking ugly!!”
Let’s see how long until this account is taken down by Instagram too.
UPDATE: As of 4:00PM CST, “asiansareugly2” and “asiansareugly4” were taken down. It seems that Zoe and Cassie inspired other Instagram users to create accounts such as “asiansareugly3” and “asiansareugly10” so that they are unable to create “backup” accounts to spread their hate. Hooray for the intelligent and non racist youths of America!
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- RT @ZachZaidman: Jordan Howard helped lead #Bears to their first road win in 658 days https://t.co/hYzglYkDtU 2 days ago
- RT @NickFriedell: Theo on setting up the rotation for Dodgers: “We’ll figure it out on the plane before the heavy drinking starts.” Ha. 4 days ago
- RT @NHLBlackhawks: Well that was a nice way to start the season. #HAWKSWIN https://t.co/rRiZDpgzMl 1 week ago
- Happy 30th birthday to this gem!!! 💎 lachicagogem #ImHerNecklace @… instagram.com/p/BaYIEFzA91zi… 5 hours ago
- At least @javy23baez is still having fun. @Cubs, can we get a gif of his Dikembe Mutumbo #NoNoNo finger wave? #NLCS 6 hours ago
- RT @RevDrBarber: Our president wants us to say ‘Merry Christmas’ but his policies wouldn’t take care of Mary, Joseph & Jesus. 6 hours ago
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- .@Cubs https://t.co/nzgjesHLc2 6 hours ago
- I'm pissed that the Cubs are playing like shit, but I'm more upset about @realDonaldTrump still being president. He's a fucking asshole. 7 hours ago
- RT @charlyne_yi: I think about the first time I met David Cross ten years ago & he made fun of my pants (that were tattered because I was p… 7 hours ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Victoria Arlen, a Paralyzed U.S. Swimmer, is Banned from Paralympic World Championships
- Top 10 Hollywood Actors
- Rex Reed thinks Melissa McCarthy is “tractor-sized”
- Forbes: Why Rating Your Doctor is Bad for Your Health
- Stephen Colbert mocks Asiana Airlines and KTVU
- Top 10 Pizzas
- Don't think racism is an issue these days? Just go on Instagram (and other social media).
- Cristy Nicole Deweese, a Texas high school teacher, under fire for previously posing for Playboy Magazine