Rehtaeh Parsons hangs herself after gang-rape photos go viral
Months ago I posted the harrowing story of Amanda Todd, a bullied teenager, who killed herself because of never-ending and VICIOUS cyber-bullying. Sadly cyber-bullying continues and has taken an even more twisted form. Rehtaeh Parsons was a 17-year-old teen who lived in Nova Scotia. She was a kind-hearted person and a great student. She had innumerable opportunities in her future. That is until her family took her off life-support this past Sunday night. Rehtaeh had unsuccessfully tried to commit suicide by hanging herself in the bathroom.
In November 2011, when she was 15-years-old, she was gang-raped by four of her male classmates. In addition to the sadistic act one of the boys took a picture and posted it online. It quickly went viral. Authorities “investigated” the assault but cited “insufficient evidence” for the lack of an arrest. Her assailants were thus free to live their pitiful and pathetic lives. She has yet to get justice.
Rehtaeh’s mother states:
“They didn’t even interview the boys until much, much later. To me, I’d think you’d get the boys right away, separate them…. Nothing was done about [the photos] because they couldn’t prove who had pressed the photo button on the phone…We didn’t have a rape kit done because we didn’t even know until several days later when she had a breakdown in my kitchen. She was trying to keep it to herself.”
The mother was told that the distribution of the photos is not really a criminal issue, but rather more of a community issue. Rehtaeh was tormented and bullied at school. She was forced to move. She eventually sought medical assistance for her suicidal thoughts and depression. Unfortunately she would succumb to her tormentors.
Last Thursday she hung herself in the bathroom. The family took her off life-support on Sunday to end her suffering. Rehtaeh’s mother thinks her daughter would want her to share her story. She created a Facebook page in honor of her daughter.
Stories of this nature are truly dumbfounding to me. These sadistic boys, better yet animals, not only got away with this atrocious crime but they had the audacity to photograph it. I hope they are not only arrested, but imprisoned for life. I still don’t understand why teenagers would torment a girl who was raped. This is beyond perplexing. I hope you share this post so that Rehtaeh’s story is silent no more.
I pray Rehtaeh gains the justice she deserves!
May she rest in peace.
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- @TheGameSurvivor Atlanta 3 days ago
- @TheGameSurvivor Love it! Proud to be an alumni. Having met her I can attest that she's a considerably sweet woma… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- RT @RamblersMBB: Final: Clayton Custer can do it all! See you in Atlanta! #Loyola - 63 UT - 62 #OnwardLU #MVCHoops https://t.co/4W1DGvtllU 3 days ago
- RT @Evan_McMullin: .@JRubinBlogger: Congressional Republicans are signaling by their silence that they have no stomach to confront Trump. T… 1 hour ago
- @arnuccio4 https://t.co/9oBQCZkaUW 1 hour ago
- If you can’t be a Wonder Woman unicorn, support a Wonder Woman unicorn! - Grace Hou #CWIPLuncheon https://t.co/W1V4NUK9GS 6 hours ago
- Hope everyone is having a great #LaborDay2015 2 years ago
- RT @CarrieMuskat: Final #Cubs 14, D-backs 5. Rizzo grand slam, Russell 2 HRs, Baez 3 H/1 HR. Lester 5 IP 2 years ago
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses wp.me/p2Gcas-1ft #KimDavis #Kentucky #RowanCounty #gaymarriage 2 years ago
- LMAO What a bunch of morons. 😆 twitter.com/nra/status/973… 1 week ago
- I’m never flying @United again. twitter.com/stephemcneal/s… 1 week ago
- Hey, @cta. You should tell your train conductors when they see people rushing down the stairs to catch the train th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- What the heck has happened to Amanda Bynes?
- Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (2013)
- The Wolverine (2013)
- 12 Years a Slave (2013)
- What’s wrong with "American Idol?"
- Top 10 Pizzas
- Top 10 Favorite TV Shows
- Why all the Fuss over the Royal Baby?
- The Fault in Our Stars (2014)
- Why I Oppose Capital Punishment…