Rehtaeh Parsons hangs herself after gang-rape photos go viral
Months ago I posted the harrowing story of Amanda Todd, a bullied teenager, who killed herself because of never-ending and VICIOUS cyber-bullying. Sadly cyber-bullying continues and has taken an even more twisted form. Rehtaeh Parsons was a 17-year-old teen who lived in Nova Scotia. She was a kind-hearted person and a great student. She had innumerable opportunities in her future. That is until her family took her off life-support this past Sunday night. Rehtaeh had unsuccessfully tried to commit suicide by hanging herself in the bathroom.
In November 2011, when she was 15-years-old, she was gang-raped by four of her male classmates. In addition to the sadistic act one of the boys took a picture and posted it online. It quickly went viral. Authorities “investigated” the assault but cited “insufficient evidence” for the lack of an arrest. Her assailants were thus free to live their pitiful and pathetic lives. She has yet to get justice.
Rehtaeh’s mother states:
“They didn’t even interview the boys until much, much later. To me, I’d think you’d get the boys right away, separate them…. Nothing was done about [the photos] because they couldn’t prove who had pressed the photo button on the phone…We didn’t have a rape kit done because we didn’t even know until several days later when she had a breakdown in my kitchen. She was trying to keep it to herself.”
The mother was told that the distribution of the photos is not really a criminal issue, but rather more of a community issue. Rehtaeh was tormented and bullied at school. She was forced to move. She eventually sought medical assistance for her suicidal thoughts and depression. Unfortunately she would succumb to her tormentors.
Last Thursday she hung herself in the bathroom. The family took her off life-support on Sunday to end her suffering. Rehtaeh’s mother thinks her daughter would want her to share her story. She created a Facebook page in honor of her daughter.
Stories of this nature are truly dumbfounding to me. These sadistic boys, better yet animals, not only got away with this atrocious crime but they had the audacity to photograph it. I hope they are not only arrested, but imprisoned for life. I still don’t understand why teenagers would torment a girl who was raped. This is beyond perplexing. I hope you share this post so that Rehtaeh’s story is silent no more.
I pray Rehtaeh gains the justice she deserves!
May she rest in peace.
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- And that is why I love the game of #Survivor. #SurvivorGameChangers 4 days ago
- Finally getting to read #TheStand by @StephenKing. 200 pages in and I've become very paranoid of anyone that sneezes or coughs 1 week ago
- Lol twitter.com/MensHumor/stat… 1 week ago
- Introducing the newest member of the Pera clan, Dottie Hinson. And… instagram.com/p/BSHuJj_gj8hE… 10 hours ago
- Love is... watching A League of Their Own with your best friend and you're both crying, again, even though you know… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- @fouriv they want Elliot's baby. 1 day ago
- Hope everyone is having a great #LaborDay2015 1 year ago
- RT @CarrieMuskat: Final #Cubs 14, D-backs 5. Rizzo grand slam, Russell 2 HRs, Baez 3 H/1 HR. Lester 5 IP 1 year ago
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses wp.me/p2Gcas-1ft #KimDavis #Kentucky #RowanCounty #gaymarriage 1 year ago
- I'm super excited to announce the launch of my home bakery business, Camelia Bakes! I am now… instagram.com/p/BR3TslFjPKf/ 6 days ago
- I can finally read the @GetOutMovie Wiki page and everything else online about it. See you all in about 3 days. @JordanPeele 1 week ago
- RT @GeorgeTakei: What kind of man "dreams" all his life about limiting health care for the indigent? A man without empathy, a man without h… 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Don't think racism is an issue these days? Just go on Instagram (and other social media).
- What the heck has happened to Amanda Bynes?
- Top 10 Pizzas
- Jimmy Kimmel and Aunt Chippy Present Miracle Sponge
- Suspect #2 is captured; now let us not forget the Victims
- Newsweek: The Suicide Epidemic
- Should you be able to name your baby ‘Messiah’?
- Victoria Arlen, a Paralyzed U.S. Swimmer, is Banned from Paralympic World Championships
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
- Why is “The Walking Dead” so popular?