Michigan high school ignores rape accusations to protect star basketball player
David Frum, writer for the Daily Beast and Newsweek, brought a disturbing story to my intention. A Michigan high school is guilty of ignoring rape accusations in order to protect the school’s star basketball player. According to a 2010 complaint, the victim states she was sexually assaulted by the player in the sound-proof band room. The victim notified a teacher who informed the principal of what had transpired. The principal incredulously, urged the victim and her family not to press charges because it could deter the attacker’s chances of obtaining a Division 1 basketball scholarship.
The family ignored the request and filed a complaint with the local police department. They feared the assailant might harm others. The school continued to do nothing. The family’s fears were unfortunately realized when two weeks later another girl emerged to state she was sexually assaulted by the same attacker.
The school continued to do NOTHING! The attacker continued to attend his classes, some even with his first victim. The female student began to be cyber-bullied by the other students. They believed she was lying because the school hadn’t acted to remove the basketball player; thus proving to them she was lying. They viciously called her a “liar” and a “whore.” The attacker and his friends began to bully his victim. He would follow her around campus, pushing her into lockers and other students.
After five agonizing weeks, law enforcement finally arrested the assailant on two felony counts of criminal sexual conduct. He would plead guilty to a single count of misdemeanor assault and battery. He was sentenced to attend a treatment facility.
THE ONLY THING THE SCHOOL PROCEEDED TO DO WAS TEMPORARILY BENCH HIM.
As this assailant continued to remain a student of the school, the first victim transferred to a new school.
It is utterly perplexing and maddening that this culture of entitlement is shown to rapists. When did raping someone not qualify as a reason to be expelled from school? Why wasn’t this principal immediately fired? Why does the news media continue to ignore the pleas of thousands of girls around the world who are tormented both physically and mentally?
How many girls have to feel they are worthless before the rape culture is addressed?
How many girls have to commit suicide before cyber-bullying is addressed?
How many Steubenville cases need to occur before something changes?
A couple of weeks ago I shared the story of Rehtaeh Parsons. Rehtaeh was brutally gang raped. One of her assailants posted pictures of her as she was being assaulted. She was quickly cyber-bullied by her peers. She sadly killed herself.
As did Audrie Potts.
As did Amanda Todd.
In addition, we really need to begin asking ourselves what is wrong with our teenagers. Specifically the ones who cyber-bullied these victims. Why would someone condemn a girl because she is raped? There has to be something really messed up about you if you do.
What exactly does this tell us about today’s teen society?
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- RT @DavidHaugh: No doubt on that one. Jordan Howard scores game-winning TD to upset Steelers 23-17 in OT. 4 hours ago
- What a finish. Wow. #BearDown 4 hours ago
- Finished reading #SpoilerAlertTheHeroDies today. What a beautiful memoir. @MichaelAusiello #smurfsareawesome #KitCowan #MisterScooch #love 1 week ago
- Hey Nacho, what about grabbing them by the pussy? twitter.com/cnn/status/912… 3 hours ago
- RT @Reddy: Jared Kushner used private email to conduct White House business, with an account set up after the election https://t.co/GOw670d… 4 hours ago
- Love how nobody stopped playing but ruled out of bounds. Stupid call. #BearsVsSteelers 4 hours ago
- Hope everyone is having a great #LaborDay2015 2 years ago
- RT @CarrieMuskat: Final #Cubs 14, D-backs 5. Rizzo grand slam, Russell 2 HRs, Baez 3 H/1 HR. Lester 5 IP 2 years ago
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses wp.me/p2Gcas-1ft #KimDavis #Kentucky #RowanCounty #gaymarriage 2 years ago
- RT @ASlavitt: NEW: What would Graham-Cassidy ACA repeal mean for women? RT if useful. https://t.co/NRV2ohXyO7 4 days ago
- You're a fucking shithead, @realDonaldTrump. twitter.com/cnbcnow/status… 4 days ago
- Hey, @GOP. It's really not that hard to NOT be assholes. #Trumpcare 4 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Victoria Arlen, a Paralyzed U.S. Swimmer, is Banned from Paralympic World Championships
- What the heck has happened to Amanda Bynes?
- Mom hires strippers for son’s 16th birthday party
- Newsweek: Is College a Lousy Investment?
- Stacie Halas, a California Teacher fired for Porn Past, loses appeal
- What’s wrong with "American Idol?"
- Top 10 Pizzas
- Stephanie Cutter: Women aren’t concerned with the last four years
- Carla McKinney, a Colorado teacher, is reprimanded for posting topless photos on Twitter
- Kim Kardashian isn’t fat, she’s pregnant...