Should you be able to name your baby ‘Messiah’?
A judge in Newport, Tennessee, made national headlines last weekend when she took it upon herself to rename a 7-month-old baby whose parents were before her at a child-support hearing, to resolve a dispute over the child’s surname. The baby’s given name was “Messiah DeShawn Martin.” The magistrate judge changed the child’s name to “Martin DeShawn McCullough” (McCullough is the father’s last name). She said the word ‘Messiah’ is a title and a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ.
According to the Social Security Administration, “Messiah” was in the top 400 baby names last year. There were nearly 4,000 babies named “Jesus,” about 500 named “Mohammed,” and 29 were named “Christ.” While this may be an uncommon practice in the U.S., many other countries restrict which names parents can give to their newborns. In some countries there are lists of pre-approved names.
In 2008, a New Jersey father attracted attention when he got into a fight with a local grocery store that refused to frost the birthday cake for his then 3-year-old son, Adolf Hitler Campbell. Odd given-names are not abnormal in this country. For many examples simply look at the names celebrities give their children. Some people argue that such odd names are a detriment to the child. They can hamper their social development.
Do I think parents should be allowed to give their child any name they want?
I don’t think they should be able to give their child any name. For example, Adolf Hitler is a name that would unfairly stain the child. It would hinder other parents from allowing their children to interact with them.
Do I agree with the judge’s decision in this case?
No. In this case the word “Messiah” does not denote any malevolent entity. The judge unfairly used her own personal religious beliefs to ascertain a ruling in this case. I don’t think a judge can use her religious beliefs in a ruling. Now I’m no legal genius but I am pretty sure there’s an infringement of constitutional rights in this case.
I think the child’s given name should be restored.
What do you think?
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- Finished reading #SpoilerAlertTheHeroDies today. What a beautiful memoir. @MichaelAusiello #smurfsareawesome #KitCowan #MisterScooch #love 2 days ago
- RT @angiecthomas: No lie - I got teary-eyed when I saw this. Meet the Carter family 😊@TheHateUGive #theHateUGive https://t.co/hYzgEFDMnl 6 days ago
- RT @DaltonRoss: 35 Reasons to Love Survivor! (Had a lot of fun writing this. Please read & share with your #Survivor friends.) https://t.co… 6 days ago
- RT @theseantcollins: McCain 202-224-2235 Murkowski 202-224-6665 Collins 202-224-2523 Portman 202-224-3353 Capito 202-224-6472 Alexander 202… 2 hours ago
- RT @ChrisMurphyCT: Republican Govs from Ohio, Nevada, Alaska, Vermont, Massachusetts come out against new #TRUMPCARE bill. Big news. 3 hours ago
- RT @JohnKasich: Graham/Cassidy/Heller/Johnson eliminates the guardrails that protect some of the most vulnerable among us. 2/ 4 hours ago
- Hope everyone is having a great #LaborDay2015 2 years ago
- RT @CarrieMuskat: Final #Cubs 14, D-backs 5. Rizzo grand slam, Russell 2 HRs, Baez 3 H/1 HR. Lester 5 IP 2 years ago
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses wp.me/p2Gcas-1ft #KimDavis #Kentucky #RowanCounty #gaymarriage 2 years ago
- RT @MattBellassai: lucius malfoy youre doing amazing sweetie twitter.com/hellogoodbritt… 20 hours ago
- RT @TeenVogue: "For anyone who cares about democracy and/or the truth, silence is not an option." tnvge.co/9RMBUWX 20 hours ago
- RT @JoeBerkowitz: Let's not let people like Spicer and Mooch become Cute Things. They were lying mouthpieces, utter disgraces. They should… 1 day ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Victoria Arlen, a Paralyzed U.S. Swimmer, is Banned from Paralympic World Championships
- What the heck has happened to Amanda Bynes?
- Rehtaeh Parsons hangs herself after gang-rape photos go viral
- Why I Oppose Capital Punishment…
- Top 10 Hollywood Actors
- Pentagon Papers Lawyer James Goodale: Attorney General Eric Holder should resign
- Teen Mom’s Yearbook Photo is Banned Because of “Prop”
- Devil’s Due (2014)
- Don't think racism is an issue these days? Just go on Instagram (and other social media).
- Honor Student Erin Cox Punished for Giving Drunken Friend a Ride Home