Should you be able to name your baby ‘Messiah’?
A judge in Newport, Tennessee, made national headlines last weekend when she took it upon herself to rename a 7-month-old baby whose parents were before her at a child-support hearing, to resolve a dispute over the child’s surname. The baby’s given name was “Messiah DeShawn Martin.” The magistrate judge changed the child’s name to “Martin DeShawn McCullough” (McCullough is the father’s last name). She said the word ‘Messiah’ is a title and a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ.
According to the Social Security Administration, “Messiah” was in the top 400 baby names last year. There were nearly 4,000 babies named “Jesus,” about 500 named “Mohammed,” and 29 were named “Christ.” While this may be an uncommon practice in the U.S., many other countries restrict which names parents can give to their newborns. In some countries there are lists of pre-approved names.
In 2008, a New Jersey father attracted attention when he got into a fight with a local grocery store that refused to frost the birthday cake for his then 3-year-old son, Adolf Hitler Campbell. Odd given-names are not abnormal in this country. For many examples simply look at the names celebrities give their children. Some people argue that such odd names are a detriment to the child. They can hamper their social development.
Do I think parents should be allowed to give their child any name they want?
I don’t think they should be able to give their child any name. For example, Adolf Hitler is a name that would unfairly stain the child. It would hinder other parents from allowing their children to interact with them.
Do I agree with the judge’s decision in this case?
No. In this case the word “Messiah” does not denote any malevolent entity. The judge unfairly used her own personal religious beliefs to ascertain a ruling in this case. I don’t think a judge can use her religious beliefs in a ruling. Now I’m no legal genius but I am pretty sure there’s an infringement of constitutional rights in this case.
I think the child’s given name should be restored.
What do you think?
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- #FargoFX season finale was underwhelming 3 days ago
- @MariamsMusings @CSNChicago It's on an alternate comcast sports channel 3 days ago
- The fact Dean instantly looked for the seat belt cemented him as my favorite contestant on #TheBachelorette 6 days ago
- RT @ACLU: The TSA is testing having passengers remove books from their carry-on bags in security line. aclu.org/blog/free-futu… 5 hours ago
- RT @AJentleson: The March of Dimes helped McConnell recover from childhood polio. They oppose his health care bill. But he refuses to me… 10 hours ago
- RT @jonfavs: He's already testing out what he might say if it doesn't pass. Keep fighting. Don't let up. twitter.com/realdonaldtrum… 10 hours ago
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- In case anyone is wondering, I prefer the Prickly Pear frappe over the Mango Pineapple frappe. #Starbucks 1 day ago
- RT @andylassner: This is ISN'T about healthcare or Americans. It's about some old white people not being able to stand what a black presid… 1 day ago
- RT @ananavarro: #PresidentLoco is a little confused today. He forgot his story is there was no Russian meddling in elections. Man-child nee… 2 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Steph Strayer posts photo of “cheating husband” on Facebook to shame him
- Prisoners (2013)
- Don't think racism is an issue these days? Just go on Instagram (and other social media).
- LeBron James is overrated
- Kim Kardashian isn’t fat, she’s pregnant...
- Top 10 Hollywood Actors
- Cristy Nicole Deweese, a Texas high school teacher, under fire for previously posing for Playboy Magazine
- 12 Years a Slave (2013)
- The Ebola Virus- should we be concerned?
- Jennifer Livingston, Wisconsin TV news anchor, takes on her bully