Should you be able to name your baby ‘Messiah’?
A judge in Newport, Tennessee, made national headlines last weekend when she took it upon herself to rename a 7-month-old baby whose parents were before her at a child-support hearing, to resolve a dispute over the child’s surname. The baby’s given name was “Messiah DeShawn Martin.” The magistrate judge changed the child’s name to “Martin DeShawn McCullough” (McCullough is the father’s last name). She said the word ‘Messiah’ is a title and a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ.
According to the Social Security Administration, “Messiah” was in the top 400 baby names last year. There were nearly 4,000 babies named “Jesus,” about 500 named “Mohammed,” and 29 were named “Christ.” While this may be an uncommon practice in the U.S., many other countries restrict which names parents can give to their newborns. In some countries there are lists of pre-approved names.
In 2008, a New Jersey father attracted attention when he got into a fight with a local grocery store that refused to frost the birthday cake for his then 3-year-old son, Adolf Hitler Campbell. Odd given-names are not abnormal in this country. For many examples simply look at the names celebrities give their children. Some people argue that such odd names are a detriment to the child. They can hamper their social development.
Do I think parents should be allowed to give their child any name they want?
I don’t think they should be able to give their child any name. For example, Adolf Hitler is a name that would unfairly stain the child. It would hinder other parents from allowing their children to interact with them.
Do I agree with the judge’s decision in this case?
No. In this case the word “Messiah” does not denote any malevolent entity. The judge unfairly used her own personal religious beliefs to ascertain a ruling in this case. I don’t think a judge can use her religious beliefs in a ruling. Now I’m no legal genius but I am pretty sure there’s an infringement of constitutional rights in this case.
I think the child’s given name should be restored.
What do you think?
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- RT @RamblersMBB: 2H (0:03) YES! Donte Ingram with a dagger he let go back in Chicago! Donte Ingram is CLUTCH! He has the clutch gene! #Loy… 1 day ago
- RT @RamblersMBB: Final: Survive and Advance #Loyola - 64 Miami - 62 #OnwardLU #LUCMBB100 #MVCHoops #MarchMadness https://t.co/5IK8wpL8Wp 1 day ago
- Tomorrow I'll be participating in the "Ride for a Reason" cycling event at my local #lifetime gym to raise money fo… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- Feels less and less crazy. twitter.com/isikoff/status… 5 hours ago
- RT @BrianLehrer: "If there’s one thing that people take away from @IcarusNetflix, I’d love them to see what Russia is willing to do to perv… 5 hours ago
- Life in 2018: Watch doping doc @IcarusNetflix and feel worried the whole time for the whistleblower’s safety, since… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- LMAO What a bunch of morons. 😆 twitter.com/nra/status/973… 3 days ago
- I’m never flying @United again. twitter.com/stephemcneal/s… 3 days ago
- Hey, @cta. You should tell your train conductors when they see people rushing down the stairs to catch the train th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Carla McKinney, a Colorado teacher, is reprimanded for posting topless photos on Twitter
- Stacie Halas, a California Teacher fired for Porn Past, loses appeal
- Cristy Nicole Deweese, a Texas high school teacher, under fire for previously posing for Playboy Magazine
- Cancellation of "666 Park Ave." is an impulsive decision by ABC
- 1st grade teacher at Sandy Hook refuses to unlock the door
- Suspect #2 is captured; now let us not forget the Victims
- First Lady Michelle Obama Changes National Platform to now Promote Stricter Gun Control
- Victoria Arlen, a Paralyzed U.S. Swimmer, is Banned from Paralympic World Championships
- We’re the Millers (2013)
- Prisoners (2013)