It’s Not All About the Numbers
Yesterday, marked one year since the inception of this blog. When Mariam and I created Real Talk we wanted to create a forum where fair-minded individuals could “debate” wide-ranging issues. Although the concept of a more typical debate between myself and Mariam has yet to regularly come to fruition, I can confidently state that there have been many great discussions via this forum.
Neither of us really had any clue how “successful” we would become. We didn’t know how many views to expect each month. How was success even to be measured? I was always the one more concerned with gradually, increasing our readership on a weekly basis. I thought we had the right formula to ensure great success and I wanted to realize our potential. From the group (which now includes Camelia) I’ve always been the one who tries to maintain some semblance of consistency in terms of posting. I’ve also done my best to reply to any comment and/or tweets.
For a long time, in fact for the majority of the year, I was sort of obsessed with how many views we’d garner each day. I’d frantically check every day. I’d become so discouraged when one of my posts didn’t garner as high a view count as another. I’d feel my writing was inadequate and thus I’d become overwhelmed with a sense of defeat.
One of the bloggers I follow is Bucket List Publications . I’ve mentioned the blog in previous posts. Early on I remember reading a post in which Lesley Carter (the blogger) stated that in 18 months she had accumulated over a million views. This number astonished me while also setting an unfair goal in my head.
It’s unfair because EVERY blog is different. A blog with a greater view count isn’t necessarily a BETTER blog. What a blogger should care is that they are providing quality posts. I’d rather have fewer and more engaged readers than people who simply like my posts even without reading it. After all, the intent purpose of Real Talk is to engage the reader in “debating” whatever topic discussed.
I am not worrisome over my views anymore. It took long enough, but I’ve reached that point. I worry more so about the quality of my posts. Don’t get me wrong, I love the fact Real Talk has accumulated more than 92,000 views (via WordPress and Paperblog) in its first year. But this fact doesn’t consume me anymore. I care more about the almost 1,900 comments, the 2,053 blog followers, the emails from foreign countries and that our posts have reach readers in 154 different countries. That to me is more impressive. It proves our readers are engaged in the discussion.
I’ve sincerely enjoyed my blogging experience. I hope you continue to read our posts and I more so hope you continue to share your thoughts. We really appreciate them 🙂
And to any fledgling blogger, the greatest advice I can provide is simple:
It’s not all about the numbers.
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- @beetrinh I was thinking the same thing. They were on #windycitylive and they said they think they didn't start dating until afterwards. 1 day ago
- @beetrinh Would she rather be with someone she is compatible with or simply one who is "ready" to propose a month… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- @beetrinh Exactly! The fact that she thinks this is a negative baffled me. 1 day ago
- @davesund Not a veteran, either, and his moral conviction (centered around him) confuses me. Don't know why religio… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- Twitter, I can die now. Just two more election cycles! #2024 twitter.com/juliedicaro/st… 8 hours ago
- @JulieDiCaro For the record, I'm a policy student, if that qualifies me for that WH job. #ConflictOfInterest? 😝 8 hours ago
- Hope everyone is having a great #LaborDay2015 1 year ago
- RT @CarrieMuskat: Final #Cubs 14, D-backs 5. Rizzo grand slam, Russell 2 HRs, Baez 3 H/1 HR. Lester 5 IP 1 year ago
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses wp.me/p2Gcas-1ft #KimDavis #Kentucky #RowanCounty #gaymarriage 1 year ago
- RT @MarlowNYC: Since Trump is in Paris, a reminder that his reaction to the Charlie Hebdo massacre was the absolute worst: https://t.co/l3M… 6 days ago
- You're a stupid asshole, @DonaldJTrumpJr. twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg… 6 days ago
- RT @SheThePeoplePod: Episode 14 on Elizabeth Blackwell is presented by @_CameliaBakes! Custom orders are 30% off if you mention STP at http… 6 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Carla McKinney, a Colorado teacher, is reprimanded for posting topless photos on Twitter
- Newsweek: Is College a Lousy Investment?
- ABC News highlights Chicago gang violence
- Newsweek: The Suicide Epidemic
- Steph Strayer posts photo of “cheating husband” on Facebook to shame him
- Sebastian De La Cruz Garners Racist Backlash Following Performance at the NBA Finals
- KTVU News Station Tricked in Reading False Names of Asiana Flight 214 Pilots
- The Wolverine (2013)
- Victoria Arlen, a Paralyzed U.S. Swimmer, is Banned from Paralympic World Championships
- Prisoners (2013)