It’s Not All About the Numbers
Yesterday, marked one year since the inception of this blog. When Mariam and I created Real Talk we wanted to create a forum where fair-minded individuals could “debate” wide-ranging issues. Although the concept of a more typical debate between myself and Mariam has yet to regularly come to fruition, I can confidently state that there have been many great discussions via this forum.
Neither of us really had any clue how “successful” we would become. We didn’t know how many views to expect each month. How was success even to be measured? I was always the one more concerned with gradually, increasing our readership on a weekly basis. I thought we had the right formula to ensure great success and I wanted to realize our potential. From the group (which now includes Camelia) I’ve always been the one who tries to maintain some semblance of consistency in terms of posting. I’ve also done my best to reply to any comment and/or tweets.
For a long time, in fact for the majority of the year, I was sort of obsessed with how many views we’d garner each day. I’d frantically check every day. I’d become so discouraged when one of my posts didn’t garner as high a view count as another. I’d feel my writing was inadequate and thus I’d become overwhelmed with a sense of defeat.
One of the bloggers I follow is Bucket List Publications . I’ve mentioned the blog in previous posts. Early on I remember reading a post in which Lesley Carter (the blogger) stated that in 18 months she had accumulated over a million views. This number astonished me while also setting an unfair goal in my head.
It’s unfair because EVERY blog is different. A blog with a greater view count isn’t necessarily a BETTER blog. What a blogger should care is that they are providing quality posts. I’d rather have fewer and more engaged readers than people who simply like my posts even without reading it. After all, the intent purpose of Real Talk is to engage the reader in “debating” whatever topic discussed.
I am not worrisome over my views anymore. It took long enough, but I’ve reached that point. I worry more so about the quality of my posts. Don’t get me wrong, I love the fact Real Talk has accumulated more than 92,000 views (via WordPress and Paperblog) in its first year. But this fact doesn’t consume me anymore. I care more about the almost 1,900 comments, the 2,053 blog followers, the emails from foreign countries and that our posts have reach readers in 154 different countries. That to me is more impressive. It proves our readers are engaged in the discussion.
I’ve sincerely enjoyed my blogging experience. I hope you continue to read our posts and I more so hope you continue to share your thoughts. We really appreciate them 🙂
And to any fledgling blogger, the greatest advice I can provide is simple:
It’s not all about the numbers.
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- RT @DavidHaugh: No doubt on that one. Jordan Howard scores game-winning TD to upset Steelers 23-17 in OT. 4 hours ago
- What a finish. Wow. #BearDown 4 hours ago
- Finished reading #SpoilerAlertTheHeroDies today. What a beautiful memoir. @MichaelAusiello #smurfsareawesome #KitCowan #MisterScooch #love 1 week ago
- Hey Nacho, what about grabbing them by the pussy? twitter.com/cnn/status/912… 3 hours ago
- RT @Reddy: Jared Kushner used private email to conduct White House business, with an account set up after the election https://t.co/GOw670d… 4 hours ago
- Love how nobody stopped playing but ruled out of bounds. Stupid call. #BearsVsSteelers 4 hours ago
- Hope everyone is having a great #LaborDay2015 2 years ago
- RT @CarrieMuskat: Final #Cubs 14, D-backs 5. Rizzo grand slam, Russell 2 HRs, Baez 3 H/1 HR. Lester 5 IP 2 years ago
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses wp.me/p2Gcas-1ft #KimDavis #Kentucky #RowanCounty #gaymarriage 2 years ago
- RT @ASlavitt: NEW: What would Graham-Cassidy ACA repeal mean for women? RT if useful. https://t.co/NRV2ohXyO7 4 days ago
- You're a fucking shithead, @realDonaldTrump. twitter.com/cnbcnow/status… 4 days ago
- Hey, @GOP. It's really not that hard to NOT be assholes. #Trumpcare 4 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Victoria Arlen, a Paralyzed U.S. Swimmer, is Banned from Paralympic World Championships
- What the heck has happened to Amanda Bynes?
- Mom hires strippers for son’s 16th birthday party
- Newsweek: Is College a Lousy Investment?
- Stacie Halas, a California Teacher fired for Porn Past, loses appeal
- What’s wrong with "American Idol?"
- Top 10 Pizzas
- Stephanie Cutter: Women aren’t concerned with the last four years
- Carla McKinney, a Colorado teacher, is reprimanded for posting topless photos on Twitter
- Kim Kardashian isn’t fat, she’s pregnant...