Photo of Wife Carrying her Double-Amputee Marine Husband goes Viral
In 2009, Jesse Cottle was in Afghanistan as part of an infantry squad when an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) exploded, costing him both his legs. He met his future wife when he returned to California for extensive rehabilitation. Jesse met Kelly at a swim meet. Kelly said she instantly became enamored by his endearing personality.
Recently the couple visited Idaho to get pictures with Kelly’s family. Kelly said the photographer asked to take a few photos of the group standing in a stream. Jesse took off his prosthetic legs for the shots. In an impromptu decision the photographer, Sarah Ledford, suggested Kelly carry Jesse on her back as they returned to the shore.
On August 17th, Sarah posted the photos on her Facebook account. They’ve since gone viral. Kelly said the overall feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Kelly hopes the image will “represent overcoming any kind of adversity, big or small.” Jesse thinks the photo is indicative of how his wife has “carried” him both literally and emotionally over the course of his rehab and their marriage.
I think the photo is inspiring and beautiful. I’ve chosen this photo as the first entry in a new weekly theme simply titled: “Photo of the Week.” I think the message of the photo certainly warrants an inaugural theme. I hope you tweet or email me your suggestions for next week’s photo.
What do you think of the photo?
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- #FargoFX season finale was underwhelming 3 days ago
- @MariamsMusings @CSNChicago It's on an alternate comcast sports channel 3 days ago
- The fact Dean instantly looked for the seat belt cemented him as my favorite contestant on #TheBachelorette 6 days ago
- RT @ACLU: The TSA is testing having passengers remove books from their carry-on bags in security line. aclu.org/blog/free-futu… 5 hours ago
- RT @AJentleson: The March of Dimes helped McConnell recover from childhood polio. They oppose his health care bill. But he refuses to me… 10 hours ago
- RT @jonfavs: He's already testing out what he might say if it doesn't pass. Keep fighting. Don't let up. twitter.com/realdonaldtrum… 10 hours ago
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- In case anyone is wondering, I prefer the Prickly Pear frappe over the Mango Pineapple frappe. #Starbucks 1 day ago
- RT @andylassner: This is ISN'T about healthcare or Americans. It's about some old white people not being able to stand what a black presid… 1 day ago
- RT @ananavarro: #PresidentLoco is a little confused today. He forgot his story is there was no Russian meddling in elections. Man-child nee… 2 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Steph Strayer posts photo of “cheating husband” on Facebook to shame him
- Prisoners (2013)
- Don't think racism is an issue these days? Just go on Instagram (and other social media).
- LeBron James is overrated
- Kim Kardashian isn’t fat, she’s pregnant...
- Top 10 Hollywood Actors
- Cristy Nicole Deweese, a Texas high school teacher, under fire for previously posing for Playboy Magazine
- 12 Years a Slave (2013)
- The Ebola Virus- should we be concerned?
- Jennifer Livingston, Wisconsin TV news anchor, takes on her bully