Photo of Wife Carrying her Double-Amputee Marine Husband goes Viral
In 2009, Jesse Cottle was in Afghanistan as part of an infantry squad when an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) exploded, costing him both his legs. He met his future wife when he returned to California for extensive rehabilitation. Jesse met Kelly at a swim meet. Kelly said she instantly became enamored by his endearing personality.
Recently the couple visited Idaho to get pictures with Kelly’s family. Kelly said the photographer asked to take a few photos of the group standing in a stream. Jesse took off his prosthetic legs for the shots. In an impromptu decision the photographer, Sarah Ledford, suggested Kelly carry Jesse on her back as they returned to the shore.
On August 17th, Sarah posted the photos on her Facebook account. They’ve since gone viral. Kelly said the overall feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Kelly hopes the image will “represent overcoming any kind of adversity, big or small.” Jesse thinks the photo is indicative of how his wife has “carried” him both literally and emotionally over the course of his rehab and their marriage.
I think the photo is inspiring and beautiful. I’ve chosen this photo as the first entry in a new weekly theme simply titled: “Photo of the Week.” I think the message of the photo certainly warrants an inaugural theme. I hope you tweet or email me your suggestions for next week’s photo.
What do you think of the photo?
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- #CrisisOnEarthX was a very good crossover event. Some of the best TV I've watched all year. 2 weeks ago
- RT @AMAs: Miss independent. Miss self-sufficient. Miss keep your distance... because @kelly_clarkson owned the #AMAs stage! #KELLYxAMAs htt… 3 weeks ago
- One of the best episodes of #TheBlacklist . Wow. 3 weeks ago
- @LindseyGrahamSC @realDonaldTrump It wasn’t Agent Orange’s instinct to support Strange, it was good ol’ Mitchy. 3 hours ago
- RT @SenGillibrand: Ten years ago, @TaranaBurke created the #MeToo movement to tell young women of color who had survived sexual assault tha… 3 hours ago
- RT @jaketapper: Matthew 16:26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? 3 hours ago
- Hope everyone is having a great #LaborDay2015 2 years ago
- RT @CarrieMuskat: Final #Cubs 14, D-backs 5. Rizzo grand slam, Russell 2 HRs, Baez 3 H/1 HR. Lester 5 IP 2 years ago
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses wp.me/p2Gcas-1ft #KimDavis #Kentucky #RowanCounty #gaymarriage 2 years ago
- .@realDonaldTrump https://t.co/Ld64RStBnj 1 day ago
- .@MooreSenate #AlabamaSenateElection #AlabamaSenate #DougJones https://t.co/0ajeFWeGTB 1 day ago
- 🤦🏻♀️ twitter.com/theleadcnn/sta… 1 day ago