Photo of Wife Carrying her Double-Amputee Marine Husband goes Viral
In 2009, Jesse Cottle was in Afghanistan as part of an infantry squad when an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) exploded, costing him both his legs. He met his future wife when he returned to California for extensive rehabilitation. Jesse met Kelly at a swim meet. Kelly said she instantly became enamored by his endearing personality.
Recently the couple visited Idaho to get pictures with Kelly’s family. Kelly said the photographer asked to take a few photos of the group standing in a stream. Jesse took off his prosthetic legs for the shots. In an impromptu decision the photographer, Sarah Ledford, suggested Kelly carry Jesse on her back as they returned to the shore.
On August 17th, Sarah posted the photos on her Facebook account. They’ve since gone viral. Kelly said the overall feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Kelly hopes the image will “represent overcoming any kind of adversity, big or small.” Jesse thinks the photo is indicative of how his wife has “carried” him both literally and emotionally over the course of his rehab and their marriage.
I think the photo is inspiring and beautiful. I’ve chosen this photo as the first entry in a new weekly theme simply titled: “Photo of the Week.” I think the message of the photo certainly warrants an inaugural theme. I hope you tweet or email me your suggestions for next week’s photo.
What do you think of the photo?
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- Finished reading #SpoilerAlertTheHeroDies today. What a beautiful memoir. @MichaelAusiello #smurfsareawesome #KitCowan #MisterScooch #love 2 days ago
- RT @angiecthomas: No lie - I got teary-eyed when I saw this. Meet the Carter family 😊@TheHateUGive #theHateUGive https://t.co/hYzgEFDMnl 6 days ago
- RT @DaltonRoss: 35 Reasons to Love Survivor! (Had a lot of fun writing this. Please read & share with your #Survivor friends.) https://t.co… 6 days ago
- RT @theseantcollins: McCain 202-224-2235 Murkowski 202-224-6665 Collins 202-224-2523 Portman 202-224-3353 Capito 202-224-6472 Alexander 202… 2 hours ago
- RT @ChrisMurphyCT: Republican Govs from Ohio, Nevada, Alaska, Vermont, Massachusetts come out against new #TRUMPCARE bill. Big news. 3 hours ago
- RT @JohnKasich: Graham/Cassidy/Heller/Johnson eliminates the guardrails that protect some of the most vulnerable among us. 2/ 4 hours ago
- Hope everyone is having a great #LaborDay2015 2 years ago
- RT @CarrieMuskat: Final #Cubs 14, D-backs 5. Rizzo grand slam, Russell 2 HRs, Baez 3 H/1 HR. Lester 5 IP 2 years ago
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses wp.me/p2Gcas-1ft #KimDavis #Kentucky #RowanCounty #gaymarriage 2 years ago
- RT @MattBellassai: lucius malfoy youre doing amazing sweetie twitter.com/hellogoodbritt… 20 hours ago
- RT @TeenVogue: "For anyone who cares about democracy and/or the truth, silence is not an option." tnvge.co/9RMBUWX 20 hours ago
- RT @JoeBerkowitz: Let's not let people like Spicer and Mooch become Cute Things. They were lying mouthpieces, utter disgraces. They should… 1 day ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Victoria Arlen, a Paralyzed U.S. Swimmer, is Banned from Paralympic World Championships
- What the heck has happened to Amanda Bynes?
- Rehtaeh Parsons hangs herself after gang-rape photos go viral
- Why I Oppose Capital Punishment…
- Top 10 Hollywood Actors
- Pentagon Papers Lawyer James Goodale: Attorney General Eric Holder should resign
- Teen Mom’s Yearbook Photo is Banned Because of “Prop”
- Devil’s Due (2014)
- Don't think racism is an issue these days? Just go on Instagram (and other social media).
- Honor Student Erin Cox Punished for Giving Drunken Friend a Ride Home