James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker, James Harrison, took to Instagram on Saturday to say he was returning two awards his sons James III and Henry received from a local athletics event. Harrison noted that while he is proud of his young children, he only wants his sons to earn “real” trophies. The 37-year-old says he doesn’t want his children to feel entitled, adding “cause sometimes your best is not enough, and that should drive you to want to do better.”
The majority of responses to his post were positive there were many who objected to his actions. Stating that while he could do whatever he wants, “participation trophies” weren’t a bad thing. Some said he was cruel to take these trophies from his kids. Harrison’s teammates applauded his parenting approach.
I’ve been meaning to write about this topic for a very long time. Unfortunately, we live in a society in which we award children for everything. Don’t get me started on 2nd grade graduation ceremonies (really?!). We live in a society where the moment a child whines we falter and feed the children whatever material possession will make them “feel better.” Be it a trophy, an iPod or even money. The sense entitlement as Harrison mentioned should not be a pervasive ideology amongst our youth. Without failure one cannot achieve success. Whatever happened to practice makes perfect?
This is not how we should be parenting our children. At least it won’t be the manner in which I raise my own. While I think we should get away from the mentality that everyone deserves a prize I do have somewhat of an issue with this scenario. His children were already awarded these trophies. Harrison should have probably made his wishes clear beforehand. Don’t really think it’s the best approach to take the trophy after the fact. He should have made it clear to his boys that they either win the top prizes or they win nothing.
What do you think? Should he return the trophies?
Should we put an end to “participation trophies?”
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- @beetrinh I was thinking the same thing. They were on #windycitylive and they said they think they didn't start dating until afterwards. 1 day ago
- @beetrinh Would she rather be with someone she is compatible with or simply one who is "ready" to propose a month… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- @beetrinh Exactly! The fact that she thinks this is a negative baffled me. 1 day ago
- RT @enews: Chester Bennington was found dead on what would have been the 53rd birthday of his dear friend, Chris Cornell: https://t.co/gNR1… 10 minutes ago
- RT @GshroudOCTW: Depression is hard to understand. But if it can kill Robin Williams, Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington I'd say it's pr… 34 minutes ago
- RT @thalestral: You, a literate: if females want science fiction they should go & write it! Me, a nerd: wow if only a woman had written th… 4 hours ago
- Hope everyone is having a great #LaborDay2015 1 year ago
- RT @CarrieMuskat: Final #Cubs 14, D-backs 5. Rizzo grand slam, Russell 2 HRs, Baez 3 H/1 HR. Lester 5 IP 1 year ago
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses wp.me/p2Gcas-1ft #KimDavis #Kentucky #RowanCounty #gaymarriage 1 year ago
- RT @MarlowNYC: Since Trump is in Paris, a reminder that his reaction to the Charlie Hebdo massacre was the absolute worst: https://t.co/l3M… 6 days ago
- You're a stupid asshole, @DonaldJTrumpJr. twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg… 6 days ago
- RT @SheThePeoplePod: Episode 14 on Elizabeth Blackwell is presented by @_CameliaBakes! Custom orders are 30% off if you mention STP at http… 6 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Carla McKinney, a Colorado teacher, is reprimanded for posting topless photos on Twitter
- Newsweek: The Suicide Epidemic
- Newsweek: Is College a Lousy Investment?
- ABC News highlights Chicago gang violence
- Steph Strayer posts photo of “cheating husband” on Facebook to shame him
- Sebastian De La Cruz Garners Racist Backlash Following Performance at the NBA Finals
- KTVU News Station Tricked in Reading False Names of Asiana Flight 214 Pilots
- The Wolverine (2013)
- Victoria Arlen, a Paralyzed U.S. Swimmer, is Banned from Paralympic World Championships
- Prisoners (2013)