James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker, James Harrison, took to Instagram on Saturday to say he was returning two awards his sons James III and Henry received from a local athletics event. Harrison noted that while he is proud of his young children, he only wants his sons to earn “real” trophies. The 37-year-old says he doesn’t want his children to feel entitled, adding “cause sometimes your best is not enough, and that should drive you to want to do better.”
The majority of responses to his post were positive there were many who objected to his actions. Stating that while he could do whatever he wants, “participation trophies” weren’t a bad thing. Some said he was cruel to take these trophies from his kids. Harrison’s teammates applauded his parenting approach.
I’ve been meaning to write about this topic for a very long time. Unfortunately, we live in a society in which we award children for everything. Don’t get me started on 2nd grade graduation ceremonies (really?!). We live in a society where the moment a child whines we falter and feed the children whatever material possession will make them “feel better.” Be it a trophy, an iPod or even money. The sense entitlement as Harrison mentioned should not be a pervasive ideology amongst our youth. Without failure one cannot achieve success. Whatever happened to practice makes perfect?
This is not how we should be parenting our children. At least it won’t be the manner in which I raise my own. While I think we should get away from the mentality that everyone deserves a prize I do have somewhat of an issue with this scenario. His children were already awarded these trophies. Harrison should have probably made his wishes clear beforehand. Don’t really think it’s the best approach to take the trophy after the fact. He should have made it clear to his boys that they either win the top prizes or they win nothing.
What do you think? Should he return the trophies?
Should we put an end to “participation trophies?”
Twitter: @adrakontaidis & @talkrealdebate
About adrakontaidisA conservative who doesn't pander to the GOP.
- When Justice Failed
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses
- Donald Trump’s views on ‘anchor babies’ are a bit hypocritical
- James Harrison returning his sons’ “participation trophies”
- Hillary Clinton Email Scandal Could Pose Major Impediment to her Presidential Campaign
- And that is why I love the game of #Survivor. #SurvivorGameChangers 4 days ago
- Finally getting to read #TheStand by @StephenKing. 200 pages in and I've become very paranoid of anyone that sneezes or coughs 1 week ago
- Lol twitter.com/MensHumor/stat… 1 week ago
- Introducing the newest member of the Pera clan, Dottie Hinson. And… instagram.com/p/BSHuJj_gj8hE… 10 hours ago
- Love is... watching A League of Their Own with your best friend and you're both crying, again, even though you know… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- @fouriv they want Elliot's baby. 1 day ago
- Hope everyone is having a great #LaborDay2015 1 year ago
- RT @CarrieMuskat: Final #Cubs 14, D-backs 5. Rizzo grand slam, Russell 2 HRs, Baez 3 H/1 HR. Lester 5 IP 1 year ago
- Kentucky clerk, Kim Davis, refuses to issue same-sex marriage licenses wp.me/p2Gcas-1ft #KimDavis #Kentucky #RowanCounty #gaymarriage 1 year ago
- I'm super excited to announce the launch of my home bakery business, Camelia Bakes! I am now… instagram.com/p/BR3TslFjPKf/ 6 days ago
- I can finally read the @GetOutMovie Wiki page and everything else online about it. See you all in about 3 days. @JordanPeele 1 week ago
- RT @GeorgeTakei: What kind of man "dreams" all his life about limiting health care for the indigent? A man without empathy, a man without h… 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Don't think racism is an issue these days? Just go on Instagram (and other social media).
- What the heck has happened to Amanda Bynes?
- Top 10 Pizzas
- Jimmy Kimmel and Aunt Chippy Present Miracle Sponge
- Suspect #2 is captured; now let us not forget the Victims
- Newsweek: The Suicide Epidemic
- Should you be able to name your baby ‘Messiah’?
- Victoria Arlen, a Paralyzed U.S. Swimmer, is Banned from Paralympic World Championships
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
- Why is “The Walking Dead” so popular?